Thursday, August 7, 2014

DIY Gel Manicure and Breast Cancer Glitter Gradient

Good Morning Everyone!
 
I'm super excited to share this DIY gel manicure/glitter gradient with you all! I actually told all of my Facebook friends/Instagram followers I would post this yesterday, but I decided to make chex mix and ran out of time (oops).
 
Back to the point, this is a super easy manicure and from the research I've done, it can last anywhere from 7-14 days. Yay! Mine has been on for almost 2 days, so I can't tell you if that's true, but I'll be writing another post once I take the manicure off with daily pictures for you all!
 
My inspiration for this manicure cam from Pinterest, of course. Here is the post that inspired me to give this a try. If this actually lives up to the standards I'm holding it to, it's a great option for someone who doesn't have the money or time to sit at a nail salon (like me). The main tool you need is Gelous Nail Gel made by American Classics. It's $5.99, but you can get it for $5.39 with a Sally's card here.
 
When I was researching doing this manicure, I only saw plain colors, nothing of any interest to me. So I decided to do a design and see how it worked, not too hard. Well, it was one of those days where I literally could not decide on a color of nail polish, let alone a design. So, I called on my lovely Facebook friends and one of them suggested doing a solid color base with glitter french tips. This got my brain going and I came up with the design below:


Now, you might ask, why add the breast cancer ribbon? As some of you may know, my grandma and my aunt are both battling breast cancer and I am very close to them. I even went so far as to get a breast cancer ribbon tattooed on my wrist. So I guess you could say that I'm a bit partial to things with breast cancer ribbons on them. Plus, I just purchased this cute glitter nail polish from Maybelline's Color Show line that has some light pink sparkles mixed in with the gold, perfect way to incorporate the breast cancer ribbon!
 
What you need:
  •  American Classics Gelous Nail Gel (Link above)
  •  A Quick dry top coat (I used Seche Vite, which I also got at Sally's)
  • Pink Nail polish (I used LA Colors Pink-A-Boo)
  •  Glitter nail polish ( I used Maybelline Color Show Gilded Rose)
  •  Pink detailing nail polish or a detailing nail brush
A side note, you don't need a dotting tool. I'm not sure why I put it in the picture. 
 
 
Step 1. Paint 1 coat of Gelous on clean, dry nails. Make sure all the coats you paint are thin.


Step 2. Once this coat is dry, paint a thin coat of your polish on you nails. I did My glitter on my ring finger then painted the rest of the nails pink.


Step 3. Once that coat is dry, paint another coat of gelous on top.


Step 4. Once that coat is dry, paint another coat of your colored polishes.


Step 5. Take your brush from the glitter polish and wipe a good amount of the polish off. Paint about 2/3 down your nail or halfway, whichever you prefer. Leave the glitter nail alone at this point.


Step 6. Once that dries, take the glitter brush again and paint the top portion of your nail with a bit more glitter.
 
Step 7. Take your detailing brush and paint a ribbon on your accent nail. This was a bit tricky for me, but I eventually just did a hook shape for one side then added the line for the other side.


Step 8. Once that coat is dry, paint your top coat on.
 
**Side note, I absolutely love this Seche Vite topcoat and I will probably write a blog post comparing it to Essie's All-in-One**
 


Step 9. Add one last coat of Gelous.


And once that dries, clean your nails up and you're done!
 








Keep an eye out for my blog post about how long this manicure will last!

I am behind on my blogging and still have some pedicures that I have yet to post, as well as DIY Rice Packs, but I had to share this with you all!

I will also be making a canvas for my friend's baby tonight, so that will be up soon as well!

Post recreations to: #countryclassdiy

Follow me on Pinterest

If you have any ideas or questions, please feel free to comment or email me!














No comments:

Post a Comment