Tuesday, December 30, 2014

DIY Sharpie Mug

Hello everyone!

I hope you all had a fabulous Christmas with your families! I know I said I was going to share this before Christmas, but I forgot that one of these mugs was for my little sister and I didn't want her snooping on here and finding it. So, I'm sharing it now!

I'm sure if you are on Pinterest, you've seen the new "Sharpie Mug" craze. Well, I thought this would be the perfect craft. Especially, when my sister told me she wanted a mug with a music quote on it for when she drinks tea. So as usual, I began doing some extensive research. And I mean EXTENSIVE.  I literally googled for days before finally starting this project.

Some of the most helpful videos I found with tips and tricks are here and here.

What you need:
  • Oil Based Sharpie Paint markers (I got mine at Wal-Mart)
  • Cheap White Mugs (I attempted to find some at my local Dollar tree, but they were all out, so I went to Wal-Mart and got these for $1.75 each. And of course, a few days later, Dollar Tree stocked back up)
  • An oven


Step 1. Wash and dry your mugs.
 
Step 2. Now add your designs.
 
I scoured Pinterest for ideas for my mug (the far right) and finally just decided to wing it. You can either freehand the designs with the paint marker (which I did) or draw with a pencil so you can erase mistakes. If it's a big design (like the middle cup) then you should go over it twice.
 
Step 3. Let your mugs sit for about 24 hours.


Step 5. Place your mugs on a cookie sheet in a cool oven.
**Keep in mind that some colors will change when baking! My yellow turned out more of a gold and the pink ended up darker**
 
Step 6. Put your oven on 450 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
 
WARNING: Your house will smell terrible while doing this.
 


Step 7. Once 30 minutes have elapsed, turn off the oven and allow your mugs to sit in there until it is cool. (I let mine sit overnight)


This is my finished product. As you can see, the colors did change a bit, but not too drastically.


I did not test these in the dishwasher because I was too scared to mess them up. One of the videos I linked to tests them and they do fine. However, I chose to hand wash them so that they will last longer.

Let me know how this turns out for you!

Recreations? #countryclassdiy

Check out my online store!

Follow me on Pinterest and Tumblr

Shop my Avon Store






No comments:

Post a Comment